BOATS,Yachts and other vessels.
There are a few standard rules which have applied to boats since 1977 regarding gas installations.
- Gas cylinders must be stored in a dedicated locker ( No other items)
- Gas cylinders must be held tight to prevent movement.
- Only 1m(max) of high pressure orange hose is allowed within the locker between the cylinder and inlet pipe only ( No Orange High pressure hoses to the appliances)
- The locker must be vapour tight to the boat integrity and be 30 mins fireproof.
- A 19mm drain hole must be fitted at the lowest point to the locker.
- Locker must be labelled as a gas locker.
- Copper pipe to be used as the supply pipe to appliances.
- Isolation taps to be fitted as close as possible near to appliances.
- A gimballed cooker has to have an armoured flexi-hose.
- All new cookers must have flame supervision devices.
- Only room sealed hot water and heating appliances can be fitted.
- Gas Fridges and Open flued hot water heaters are not permitted.
As an LPG Boat Engineer I recommend that all boats with any LPG gas system be checked annually and that any alterations to the gas systems be first inspected to meet current regulations. Due to the many numerous designs and configurations each boat is dealt with on an individual basis.
Rules regarding MCA coded boats for gas installations are covered.